This is part two in a series of posts documenting how I designed and built my own bed.
Once I finished my design, I set off to the hardware store to buy some particle board and some two-by-fours to construct the frame of my bed. I figured that a frame of two-by-four “beams” slotted into each other would support a sort of box construction built in particle board. A few sketches of the beam frame are shown here below:
The frame of beams extends longer on one side for the bench on the right side of the bed. There is a center two-by-four that adds support to the center of the mattress. All of the notch cuts for the slotting parts of the two-by-fours were made with a standard jigsaw. The final frame is shown here below (the far side of the frame is partially obscured by the particle board box on the bench part of the bed):
The particle board boxes for each side were constructed separately following the measurements in my digital file [SketchUp format]. They were cut with the jigsaw and drilled together using large wood screws and a power drill. The bottom of each box was left open to reduce the overall weight. The “boxes” were then slotted onto the two-by-four frame to add strength to the construction. A before slotting / after slotting series of photos are shown here below:
On the outsides, the frame slots completely over the two-by-four frame, shown here in this image of one of the outside corners:
I tested the fit of each box side as I went. Some adjustments were necessary even with precise measurement. Here is the completed frame with all four particle board boxes assembled (without the metal legs) in my workroom:
I then reassembled first the two-by-four frame in my bedroom and attached the metal Ikea bed legs at this point:
Next I secured the boxes on top of the frame with more screws and added slats to support the mattress:
The next post on the Bed Project will wrap up the series with notes on upholstery and final photos of the finished bed.
2 thoughts on “Bed Project documentation part 2: Practical woodworking”
Wow, awesome project!
Looks comfy as hell.